Thursday, December 27, 2007

Home for the Holidays

Christmas break has been extraordinarily appreciated. With a week in California, nearly a week spent in Minneapolis and one last week to come in Dallas, I've come to the conclusion snow sucks. Cold weather still isn't fun.

I remember the days when I would wake up in Dayton, praying for freezing weather so that I may have one of those rare snow days. Now that I'm older there's just nowhere near as much fun as when I was younger. I have few urges to go diving into a deep pile of snow. Making snow men just means freezing my fingers off. Worst of all there's driving.

I give my brother and his wife all the credit in the world for braving this cold, yet deadly weather condition. Watching them casually point out people who are stuck in the snow or have swerved off seems like a regular pass time to them. Why on Earth would anyone want to live in this frozen tundra?

I remember quite clearly my first car accident. I had just wrapped up my first play at high school over the weekend, and I was driving to school monday morning. During the 45 minute drive to school six inches of snow added onto the foot of snow that had started early in the morning. I was so excited to see sight of my school because I thought I was home free. I pulled into the turn lane and saw car coming rapidly in reverse towards me. I tried to slow down, hit black ice and ended up meeting the car at a lovely 60 degree angle. There's really nothing like the inevitable feeling of sliding on ice knowing your about to hit another car. Why you would want to deal with that, beyond me.

So to Drew and Becky, I salute you. You're far braver than I. I say we start celebrating Christmas in July so that when I come see you it isn't freezing.

No comments: