Monday, March 12, 2007

Somedays art school is like being in kindergarden.

Most schools have some classes that are important, and others that are purely bogus. I happen to be taking a class this quarter in which the teacher is full of it.

For the past 10 weeks I've been studying shapes and what each shape means. This wouldn't be so bad except the teacher will project a large image of a triangle on screen and then ask us, "What does it mean?" That little voice in my head cries out, it's a triangle, it doesn't mean anything! I've spent hours learning about how circles, squares and triangles are not shapes, but rather "primitives" and what each form represents. Let me just say that listening to those lectures on a friday night are just flat out painful.

Anyway, I had a project where we had to use "primitive forms" to tell a story. He referred to the project as a rebus, telling a story with pictures. I opted to go with Wicked, and here's what I came up with. A wicked rebus.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Your project looks interesting. Wish I could see it a little better. When is Wicked coming to Dallas? I like the way you can turn something that is boring into something of interest to you!